Nikki & Jim are

Saving the Date with Style

Written by Brett on June 9th, 2010 33 Comments

I LOVE love love love love (can I say this enough?) creative brides. There’s nothing better than the type of person who is willing and wanting for their unique personality and love to shine throughout their day. I just sat down with an awesome and amazing 2011 bride named Nikki – and Nikki is just that type of bride – creative & lots of fun. We hit it off so well that she’s asked me to be her Wedding Photographer for her big day – and I’m Thrilled!

Aside from the great news that I’ll be working with an awesome bride and groom, I really wanted to share her unique & creative save the date cards. She had brought a few to share during our meeting, and I was blown away by their creativity – they are SO fun. :)

Creative Save the Date Card Ideas

Nikki’s save the date card is so fun & creative I couldn’t help but share with all the fun people that check out our site and our facebook page. That being said – I snapped a few photos after our meeting, and wanted to share.

Creative Save the Date Card Ideas

The fun thing about Nikki’s save the date cards is that when you receive one in the mail, the little envelope glued to the front is closed up, with a little sneak-peak of ribbon convincing you to pull open. And what comes out? A fun & Colorful (and hard to forget) presentation of their upcoming wedding date.

Creative Save the Date Card Ideas

Creative Save the Date Card Ideas

Random creativity like this is why I love weddings and being a Cleveland wedding photographer – you just don’t see stuff like this too often. Future (& Current!) Making the Moment brides – please send me your save the date cards and invites – I’d just love to share with all the other brides! This type of work deserves to be shown off, and can help inspire the bride who is planning her perfect & unique day.

Creative Save the Date Card Ideas

Thank you for sharing Nikki – I am more than thrilled about being your wedding photographer!

Creative Save the Date Card Ideas

Posted In photos, Wedding Planning

Tags: ,

Facebook Comments

33 Responses to “Saving the Date with Style”

1. kristin says:

LOVE THESE!!! :)

2. Nickey says:

Awesome!! Love the creativity! I was wondering if the “thing” that the envelope was glued to was a magnet?-that would be SWEET!

3. Nikki says:

brett i’m still so thrilled that you posted this! thanks again! i can’t WAIT for next september! (:

@Nickey – they are actually not a magnet, i thought about it but it actually weighed down the envelope too much and i didn’t wanna increase postage for a save the date! (but it’s not a bad suggestion for me to tell people when they get it!)

• Brett says:

Good point – postage when sending out invites/save the dates is expensive – especially when you budget in reply envelopes for the invites. I think my wife and I spent around $250 on our invite postage alone :(

4. Michelle says:

Nikki, these are the best save the date cards! where did you get them from? was this a DIY project? thanks!!

5. Bailee says:

These save the dates are beautiful! Where did you find the paper and a place to print on them for you?

6. shelbyr says:

These are amazing!!!!!! so fabulous! did you use a “save the date” stamp for that swirly writing??

7. Nikki says:

@Bailee – Thank you so much! I bought all of the paper at http://www.paper-source.com but I warn you now, it is THE most addicting website I’ve ever been on! And I actually printed them myself! My fiancé has a Canon printer and the quality is outstanding so we did it all ourselves!

@Shelby Yes I did use a stamp for that! It’s also from the same site I just mentioned to Bailee – http://www.paper-source.com! They have THE best stamps!

8. Jenn says:

OHHH Nikkki…I so hope you are still responding to this thread!

I LOVE LOVE your STD’s, you did an amazing job! I have a couple question if you wouldn’t mind asking….for the cardstock you stated you got it at Paper Source (oh I love me some PS) what weight paper did you use? Did you cut the paper yoruself or buy pre-cut paper and if so what size?

I hope you still are responding….Thanks!

• Nikki says:

Jenn! I came back here to see if anyone else had posted and I just realized now that the reply I posted to you isn’t here! I don’t know what happened! I bought the A7 note cards from PS and just left the size as is. I rounded the corners too but other than that I left them how they were. (Then I also bought Chartreuse A7 envelopes for them to fit into, they were perfect!)

(And as for the smaller black pieces I used a 1″ square punch and a smaller corner rounder.. then used my Cricut for the numbers and glued them each on individually!)

9. Adrianna says:

hello i LOVE you save the dates. where/how did you get the paper to have that design

• Nikki says:

Hey Adrianna! For the design on the paper I used a Photoshop brush! There are some basic ones that come on Photoshop itself, but there are free downloads of them all over the internet and I downloaded a “swirls” one, then made the shade light enough that it was just an accent pattern!

10. Adrianna says:

just wanted to let you know that your save the dates were the MOST creative i had seen !
    i am doing something similar just changing a few things !

question ? i cannot seem to find a punch for the numbers nor do i want to use stickers..any suggestions on what i can do for the numbers ??

• Nikki says:

Adrianna – I actually didn’t start with using a Cricut for the numbers; I started with stamping them! I used an acrylic block and lined up the stamps so I could see better. It worked pretty well until I realized I’d need two “1″s due to the 2011 date, which is why I got frustrated and switched to the Cricut haha.

There are a ton of stamps at places like Michaels in a variety of fonts and sizes which are great!

I hope this helps! And if you get some pictures when you’re done I’d love to see them! It’s such a fun (but time consuming) project – but TOTALLY worth it! (:

11. emilia says:

i don’t know if this would work, but maybe you can use numbered stamps…I am thinking about doing something like this and will use stamps.

do you know where to find the little enveloped on the card?

12. Nora says:

Any chance you are for hire? I love these but am not at all crafty. But I would be willing to pay for them because they are great!

• Nikki says:

Nora- You just gave me the biggest compliment ever! I would be more than willing to work something out with you! Feel free to get in touch with me via email and let me know your info (# of cards, what colors, sizes, all that jazz!) and we can discuss further! nicole.meyer01@gmail.com (<- and if any one else has questions feel free to email me there as well!)

and Brett, thank you SO much for posting this up here, I feel truly honored that you deem me as "creative" and that I seem to have given some inspiration to lots of brides through you! (:

13. Ann says:

These are the cutest most creative STDs I’ve ever seen! Wow. I’m definitely doing these. Nikki, thank you so much for this awesome idea. I can’t wait to get to the craft store tomorrow as soon as I wake up to browse for ideas and supplies. Kudos to you!

14. catherine says:

My name is Catherine and I recently stumbled onto your save the dates. I really love them so i went on reading on how to make them. I thought the paper would come with the background. Well, I read more and saw it was from photoshop. I have photoshop but i have no idea even how to use it. The most i use it for is to take the red eyes off pictures. Would it be possible to send simple directions on how to use the paintbrush in photoshop and to put it on the note cards. My wedding has peacocks in it so i would love the background instead of swirl to be a peacock feather or something. Please get back to me even if this is not possible.

15. Amanda says:

How do you get the string to stay in the envelope?

• Nikki says:

Amanda! What I did was I cut a little slit in the back of the envelope (just stick a piece of cardboard in the envelope in order to do this so you don’t cut all the way through!) and I actually pulled the ribbon THROUGH the back and taped it down to the envelope itself before gluing it down. To tape it I used just simple Scotch tape because it seemed to work better than any of the craft tapes that I had laying around!

16. Amanda says:

Nikki,
    Thank you so much for answering my question. Did you get the cardboard from a craft store? One more question haha I think..What paper did you use for the little pieces of paper you pull out of the envelope…Did you get it from papersource? Also, I know you did the numbers with a Cricut machine…does that require special paper? I just bought one yesterday off ebay and I am excited to use it!
    Thank you so much!!!
    Amanda

• Nikki says:

Amanda!
      Sorry it took me a couple days to see this on there! I just used a piece of cardboard from a box I had laying around so I could stick the cardboard in, cut a small slit in the back of the envelope, and then take it back out – so one rectangular piece of cardboard was all I needed for all of them as you can reuse the same one over and over (mine was probably an inch wide and 5 inches long just to make it easy to put in and take out).

For the little pieces of paper since I was using black I just bought some 8.5×11 cardstock from Michaels and used a 1″ square punch to punch them all out, and after that I used a smaller corner rounder to round all the edges. (I told you guys, these were a project filled with a LOT of love!) For the Cricut I can tell you this – welcome to the best kind of obsession any crafter could have. They are AWESOME. It does not require any type of special paper, I actually ended up buying a pack of black 8.5×11 and a pack of white 8.5×11 for the squares and numbers. All the Cricut requires is a sticky mat to stick any kind of paper down on (but I found the thicker the better!)

As for your comment after this one regarding the glue, I’m very partial to the Scotch adhesive quick dry glue. You can find it at any craft store, it comes in a white bottle with a red and purple label – it has a small tip at the top to make it easy to use with the smaller numbers and it dries clear! It’s definitely the best I’ve used, and I tried A LOT of glue!

Hope that helps!

17. Amanda says:

Also what type of glue did you use?

18. Francesca says:

NIKKI,
    Thank you for sharing these with us! I purchased the cricut today to try and tackle this project.. Thanks for the idea! I may post questions as I go along.. Thanks again

• Nikki says:

No problem Francesca! I’m so glad that Brett thought they were awesome enough to post on his blog! I’m glad you’re going to try and tackle the project as well – it’s a lot of work but it was totally worth it in the end!

19. collette says:

hi nikki! your creations are really great! may i know what font you used for the names “Nikki & Jim”?

20. Juliana says:

Hi, Nikki, are you available for hiring? I love your Save the date card!! im a terrible craft person when it comes to put things together. and with my work schedule and all planning my time is soooooo limited…

21. Nikki says:

All who have commented – thank you SO much for all your kind words. I try and check here as often as possible (and Brett also tries to let me know when there’s a new comment as well) and I really appreciate all the positive feedback!

I put my email on here a while ago for an extra way to contact me, but as you can see by the actual date on the save the date above, I got married a little over 6 months ago therefore my email has changed!

My new email is nicole.mikolich@gmail.com and please don’t hesitate to shoot an email my way regarding any save the date questions, random craft questions, or heck, even if you just want to say hi!

Again, thank you all so much – it really is amazing to read all of your awesome comments!